The Java-applets Estimate!,
Tables of multiplication,
The Broken Calculator, and The Number Factory are designed by Michiel Doorman and Sieb Kemme for mathematics education in lower secondary school (10-14).
The java-programming is done by Michiel Doorman, Bert Ertman and Petra van Oldengarm.
The applets are designed for practicing basic skills in a game-like environment. An important reason for this practicing is to give confidence to students in their ability to master skills.
We looked for:
- meaningful activities/games (for these students);
- situations that motivate;
- situations that stimulate improvement;
- an easy to use interface;
- activities for one or two lessons, or remedial teaching.
The activities have to give rise to:
- correct/efficient mathematical strategies and reasoning;
- use of correct mathematical skills.
Return to applet